What is coliform: what is coliform in water
What is coliform: what is coliform in water: So today we will tell you what is coliform? If you also want to get complete information about this, then you must read this article till the end.
What is coliform
What is coliform: Coliform is a type of bacteria found in the intestines of humans and animals. This bacteria can also be found in urine, faeces, and water contaminated with faeces. Coliform bacteria are not dangerous but can indicate that the water is contaminated and may contain other harmful bacteria or viruses.
Water samples are tested to detect coliform bacteria. If coliform bacteria are found in the test, it indicates that the water is not safe to drink or swim in.
To prevent coliform bacteria, water must be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. This means that the water must be treated with chlorine or other disinfectants. It should also control sources that contaminate the water, such as sewage and animal faeces.
Some of the potential health effects of coliform bacteria include:
- stomach cramps
In very severe cases, coliform bacteria can lead to sepsis or death.
how to check coliform in water
There are several methods for detecting the amount of coliform in a water sample in the laboratory.
The most common methods include:
- Membrane Filtration: In this method, a water sample is passed through a filter that captures coliform bacteria. The filter is then placed on a medium and coliform bacteria are allowed to grow. The amount of coliform can be estimated by measuring the number of bacteria.
- Molybdenum Blue Test: In this method, a water sample is mixed with a chemical that oxidizes coliform bacteria. During oxidation, a blue colour is formed. The amount of coliform can be estimated by measuring the intensity of the colour.
- Culture tests: In this method, the water sample is placed on a medium and coliform bacteria are allowed to grow. The amount of coliform can be estimated by counting the number of bacteria.
The method used to determine the amount of coliform can vary depending on the quantity and quality of the sample, the facilities of the laboratory, and the intended use.
Detecting the amount of coliform from a water sample is important because it is one way to determine how contaminated the water is. If the coliform count is high, it indicates that the water is not safe to drink or swim in.
How does coliform pollute water
Water can become contaminated with coliform in several ways, including:
- human feces: Coliform bacteria are found in human feces. Therefore, when people do not use sewage treatment facilities properly, sewage can enter the water and contaminate it.
- Animal feces: Coliform bacteria are also found in animal feces. Therefore, when animals are not raised or managed properly, their faeces can enter the water and contaminate it.
- Industrial Waste:Some industrial waste may contain coliform bacteria. Therefore, when industrial waste is not treated properly, it can contaminate water.
- other sources:Water can also become contaminated with coliform from other sources, such as:
- storm water
- ground water
- surface water
To prevent contamination of water with coliform, it is important to clean and disinfect the water. This means that the water must be treated with chlorine or other disinfectants. It should also control sources that contaminate the water, such as sewage and animal feces.
what is the treatment for coliform contamination
To treat coliform pollution, it is important to clean and disinfect the water. This means that the water must be treated with chlorine or other disinfectants. It should also control sources that contaminate the water, such as sewage and animal feces.
To purify water, it can be passed through a filter that captures coliform bacteria. Water can also be disinfected by heating or boiling it.
To prevent water from being polluted by sewage and animal feces, it is important to use sewage treatment facilities. Sewage treatment facilities remove harmful substances from sewage.
Some specific treatments to treat coliform contamination include:
- Chlorination: Chlorine is a popular disinfectant that can be used to kill coliform bacteria. Chlorine is added to the water, where it oxidizes coliform bacteria.
- Ultraviolet (UV) radiation:UV radiation is one type of radiation that can be used to kill coliform bacteria. UV radiation passes through the water, where it damages the DNA of coliform bacteria.
- Ozonization:Ozone is a type of gas that can be used to kill coliform bacteria. Ozone is added to the water, where it oxidizes coliform bacteria.
Various treatments can be used to treat coliform contamination. The best course of treatment will vary depending on the condition.
What kills coliform bacteria?
Coliform bacteria can be killed in natural water sources with proper methods and measures to purify the water. This can happen through water circulation, water collection and sanitation features in the laboratory. The following methods can be used to kill coliform bacteria:
1. Reduce water pollution: To reduce water pollution, it is necessary to take care of cleanliness and sanitation of water sources.
2. Safety in water harvesting and transmission: It is very important to follow safe methods during the water harvesting and transmission process, so that water does not get polluted.
3. Cleaning of water sources: Regular cleaning and conservation of natural water sources is essential.
4. Water Security Measures: It is necessary to adopt water security measures around water sources such as installing pylons and following other security measures.
5. Water Sanitation: It is very important to follow water sanitation features in the laboratory so that coliform bacteria do not enter the natural water sources.
6. Proper water purification: Suitable water purification processes should be adopted to purify the water by proper methods, such as atmospheric purification, reverse osmosis, unit operated reverse osmosis, etc. in water industries.
7. Support of water management: It is necessary to follow all the guidelines and rules of water management.
NOTE: Through these measures, contamination of coliform bacteria can be reduced and clean water supply can be ensured.